xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] RE: #next: alternate to #replace

Obviously. But if you look past the XML structure and just think of the data items inside an XRD, it is a linear list. As it is currently defined, if you grab each linked XRD, strip its <XRD> envelope and <Subject> (after trust validation it has no other meaning here), you can just insert the rest into the linking XRD.

> My point is that since we have potentially many XRD choices for a
> resource (depending on the start point), would it be a deal breaker to
> have discovery potentially generate multiple independent XRDs prior to
> final selection procedure? I guess the answer is no, as long as after
> the selection procedure the result is unambiguous.
>
> The processing rule for <Link> could make the order of preference
> fixed so that one always picks the first XRD that matches a desirable
> 'rel' type. E.g.: depth-first-search.

It could but that is up to the protocol to decide. Consider the OpenID discussions about the order of precedence across links from HTML, HTTP, and host-meta. You don't just collapse them all into a single list. The context of where you find the link to the XRD matters.

> For <Link>-independent <Type> discovery, only the root XRD would be
> used.

My question is, how do you envision this to work with the very basic use case of one resource redirecting consumers elsewhere for its XRD? We started this with an HTTP 301 but because we can't sign HTTP redirections, we moved it into an XRD. If <Type>s don't cross XRD document lines, these resources will have no <Type>s.

EHL