xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 2-3PM PT Thursday 2010-01-07

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XRI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 07 January 2010 USA
Time:  2:00PM - 3:00PM Pacific Time (21:00-22:00 UTC)

ATTENDING

John Bradley

Scott Cantor

Will Norris

Drummond Reed

Markus Sabadello

Bob Morgan

Nika Jones

George Fletcher

Eran Hammer-Lahav

1) XRD NAMESPACE VERSIONING POLICY

TC Admin Mary McRae has suggested we take some specific actions regarding the namespace revisioning issue. See the thread currently ending at:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200912/msg00050.html

Will explained the origin of the document: it is required for OASIS specs that produce an XML namespace. He used a template that Mary McRae pointed him too.

Will proposed the following:

* That we not change the namespace for XRD 1.0 CD 02.

* That we publish a clear explanation for why we did this. The heart of the explanation was that we did not believe the policy committed us to make a namespace change even if we changed the schema, and that the spec is so young that the pain involved with namespace changes is far greater than the pain involved with implementation changes (regardless of whether the TC is aware of the implementation or not).

* That we will update the namespace policy to make this clear in the future.

# SCOTT will contact Mary about drafting an update to the policy. Scott will cc Drummond and Peter Davis on this message so we can be part of the thread.

2) TOBY INKSTER COMMENT ON XRD 1.0 CD 01

See:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri-comment/200912/msg00017.html

There was consensus that:

a) The TC agrees with Toby’s point that using Link Properties to indicate the version of a Rel would be a poor practice. We discussed whether this should be mentioned explicitly in the spec but decided against it.

b) This does not mean that enabling Properties on a Link should not be allowed for the many other use cases where describing the properties of a Link can be very useful.

3) OASIS TAB COMMENTS ON XRD 1.0 CD 01

For the original comments by Patrick Durusau of the OASIS Technical Architecture Board, see:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri-comment/201001/msg00000.html

The TC discussed Patrick's comments for over an hour. The disposition of the comments is recorded inline in a reply to Patrick's email:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/201001/msg00003.html

4) GAME PLAN FOR XRD 1.0 CD 02

The consensus is that we should:

a) Publish the next Working Draft

b) Check with anyone who has issued comments so far

c) Hold a Committee Draft vote

d) Hold another review of at least 30 days (or as much as 60), with the expectation that it will be very stable.

5) XRI SYNTAX 3.0 AND RESOLUTION 3.0

Drummond did not finish the Syntax 3.0 Working Draft 03 (as he had promised) due to other work thrust upon him over the break. He will continue to apply best efforts to completing it, and to starting Resolution 3.0 as soon as it is complete.

6) NEXT CALL

Next week at the regular time.