xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Working Draft 12

On Jan 18, 2010, at 9:26 PM, Nika Jones wrote:

> Some observations on Working Draft 12
>
> 1. A *very* minor point is that in the "Introduction" section we never
> spell out that this is a, "Extensible Resource Descriptor" format. We just
> say, "This document defines XRD, a simple ..." I know the title of the
> whole document writes it out. But it just seems to make sense to spell it
> out in the document.

actually that's a good point.  making the change.

> 2. A typo in 7.1. first line. "consumerif" should be "consumer if"

really?  The space is there on the version I'm looking at.

> 3. Would it be possible to have an example of an Extended XRD?

I don't want to go overboard with examples... just enough to illustrate the spec.  XML schema extension is a very common concept, and should be familiar with implementors.  What do others think?  I'm fine adding it if we think it's worth putting in.

> 4. Would it be more consistent to change the last  sentence in 3.1 from:
>
>    In no case should the meaning of a given URI used as such an identifier
>    significantly change, or be used to mean two different things.

>   The meaning of a URI used as an identifier SHOULD NOT significantly
> change,
>    or be used to mean two different things.

yeah, I thought about this, making it a normative statement.  I'll have to find the right way to word it though... the implicit subject of the second half of your sentence above is "the meaning of the URI", whereas it's intended to be talking about the identifier itself.

-will