xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Language expression

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu> wrote:
Drummond Reed wrote on 2010-01-19:
> The reason I agree with Scott is not because I don t believe in structured
> identifiers   as you know I very much do. However I believe Scott s point is
> that with URLs (technically, http: URIs), the entire identifier space under
> the authority belongs to that authority.

That's the "objective argument", but I subjectively also don't agree with using structured identifiers, because I think it's a poor substitute for using markup to express a more complex protocol.

I just don't think flattening everything into a URL is a good approach to extensibility.

Understood. And when it comes to URL architecture, you may be right. Since XRIs are designed for encoding structure into identifiers (exactly the way XML is designed for encoding structure into data), that's where I would differ - XRI structure is the whole basis for XDI.

But I'm not proposing to discuss XDI on this list. That's a conversation we should take offline (over multiple beers -- perhaps at RSA?)

=Drummond