xri message

Subject: Property, rel comparison

The current draft does not specify how to compare rel values and Property type URIs. This is a problem since these are not obvious.

Relation-types comparison is defined in Web Linking [1] :

   Registered relation type names MUST conform to the reg-relation-type
   rule, and MUST be compared character-by-character in a case-
   insensitive fashion.

   When extension relation types are compared, they MUST be compared as
   URIs in a case-insensitive fashion, character-by-character.  Because
   of this, all-lowercase URIs SHOULD be used for extension relations.

I think we should incorporate this language because it might not be obvious to developers who are not likely to study the Web Linking spec. Since we have a dependency on Web Linking, we will have to wait for it to get published as an RFC (at least approved by the IESG), and if this changes, we will follow.

BTW, I have an open issue with the above text because I think "compared as URIs" is poorly defined (is http://example.com/rel the same as http://example.com:80/rel?).

As for Property type URIs, I think they must follow the same rules as the extension relation types.

EHL

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-http-link-header