xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Property, rel comparison

On 1/26/10 10:02 AM, "Scott Cantor" <cantor.2@osu.edu> wrote:

> Breno de Medeiros wrote on 2010-01-26:
>>> If it's application-specific, then it's not scheme-specific either, it's
>>> just application-specific.
>>
>> Do we really need this level of generality?
>
> I was trying to "interpret" Eran's comments in a precise way, since the
> point here is to get the spec done. He said application-specific and that to
> me is not the same as a scheme-specific (unless by application we mean "URI
> application").

I don't have a strong view on application-specific vs scheme-specific for
subjects. At the end, its up to the client to figure out what to make out of
the subject information. So far we have only focused on extracting the
'host' component in a scheme-specific fashion, but we didn't touch on what
to do about URI normalization.

I think saying that the <Subject> URI identifies a resource per 3986 is
enough. That implies all the necessary processing and comparison rules. But
I am happy to use another language. The point I was trying to make on the
Subject URI was that it was *not* a string comparison but a URI comparison.
I guess that just means scheme-specific URI comparison.

>> According to Eran, these are not URIs, but XML namespaces in URI format.
>
> No, they're similar to URIs that identify XML namespaces in that they're
> solely identifiers, need not resolve, and can follow the same (trivial)
> comparison rules. But no, these are not actually XML namespaces and we
> wouldn't reference them as such.

I was not suggesting we call them XML namespaces, just that we use these
URI-formatted strings in a similar fashion. There are not resource
identifiers, they are strings with a required format.

EHL