xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] What is this XRD is for?

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu> wrote:
> Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote on 2010-02-04:
>> Can both denote the same resource but one uses HTTP and the other ACCT.
>> If an XRD has the HTTP in the subject, that's all the XRD is about. If
>> that XRD also has the ACCT one in an alias, all it means is that the
>> resource identified by the subject can also be identified by the alias,
>> but it does not mean that the properties and links associated with the
>> HTTP-identified resource apply to the ACCT-identified resource.

To clarify my complaint here, I'm understanding you to be saying these
things (assuming there's a <Subject>):

- The content of the XRD is about a resource identified by the <Subject>
URI.
- Any <Alias> URIs identify the same resource as the <Subject> URI.
- The content of the XRD is NOT about the resource identified by any <Alias>
URIs

The third item makes no sense to me based on the first two, and I can't
imagine I would be in the minority on that.

I don't think you want to start opening the resource vs representation
rathole (nor do I), so I think you have some other thought process I'm not
following.

-- Scott

I have to agree with Scott here. If an XRD describes a resource, and the Subject identifies that resource, and any Alias identifies that resource, then the XRD describes the same resource identified by the Subject identifier and by the Alias identifier(s).

In XRI terminology (just as an example), the Subject identifier and the Alias identifier are synonyms. While I agree that as identifiers they can have many different properties, and be from different URI schemes, I don't think there's any escaping the assertion that they still identify the same resource.

We spent many months on this in XRI 2.0 and always ended back at that same place.

=Drummond