xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] What is this XRD is for?

The spec says:

XRD --(about)--> Subject <--(describes)-- Alias

If someone want to take that to mean:

XRD--(about)-->Alias

That’s allowed, but not required. There are cases (such as the examples I gave) where this will produce bad descriptors but where an Alias is still useful. If you just think about identity, this is easy and yes, Alias and Subject end up being both described by the XRD. But in the overlap between web documents and identity, or other places where one URI is resolved in more than one way, this doesn’t always fly (because the world will never agree on what resource/representation/etc really means).

My proposal is to leave things be.

EHL

From: drummond.reed@gmail.com [mailto:drummond.reed@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Drummond Reed
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:54 PM
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav
Cc: cantor.2@osu.edu; Breno de Medeiros; xri@lists.oasis-open.org

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:

> [...]

Didn't say it is NOT, just that this is not a foregone conclusion. The XRD might be about the Aliases too, but that is *application* specific (where the rat hole of resource vs representation lives).

EHL

Well, if there's one thing I vehementaly agree on, it's that I don't want to down that rathole either. I've been bitten by those rats too many times ;-)

=Drummond