xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 2-3PM PT Thursday 2010-06-10

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XRI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 10 June 2010 USA
Time:  2:00PM - 3:00PM Pacific Time (21:00-22:00 UTC)

ATTENDING

Eran Hammer-Lahav

Will Norris

George Fletcher

Markus Sabadello

John Bradley

Drummond Reed

Joseph Boyle

Scott Cantor

AGENDA

1) TASK LIST/SCHEDULE FOR COMPLETION OF XRD 1.0

Another issue was raised in the XRI Comment list this week.

 http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/201006/msg00009.html

The issue is whether XRD and XRDS should have separate media types, as was recommended for ATOM.

We discussed that Appendix C of the current XRD Working Draft, the IANA XRD media type registration, is not normative anyway, so we can push a new Working Draft that does not include Appendix C. The concensus was to do this.

# WILL will push the new Working Draft immediately.

# DRUMMOND will open the vote on this Working Draft and the vote to request a Committee Specification, the latter to include the text,

“The TC agrees that these changes do not constitute a substantive change, and requests that the TC Administrator commence a Committee Specification vote.”

# WILL to submit the Committee Specification request, once the vote is over, via the admin form.

2) JRD

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/201005/msg00031.html

We discussed again the need for standardizing JRD, this week with Eran and Will present. Eran believes that multiple formats can lead to disaster, so that the XRD must be authoritative. If so, he believes any client should be able to use an Accept header to ask for a JRD, and if the server does not support it, the server will simply return the XRD.

Eran said that protocols can mandate the use of JRD if they wish too, since with a spec, it will be a well-defined subset of XRD. He already has a spec that explains the transformation from an XRD to a JRD. Order is not necessarily maintained.

One key difference is that it won’t be extensible, at least in the same way as XRD.

A second key differences is signatures, a point brought up by John. Eran said they will be undefined in this spec. There are approaches such as magic signatures (http://salmon-protocol.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/draft-panzer-magicsig-00.html) that would work. But that would be a different effort.

We discussed XRD and JRD extensibility and the different cases for it and different ways it can be handled. Eran prefers a wiki for registering extension, and the TC members agreed that made sense.

# ERAN will send a proposal to Mary McRae and Jamie Clark for OASIS (or the XRI TC at OASIS) to host a wiki for JRD extensions. Based on this, we will make the go-ahead decision to do a spec here within the TC.

# ERAN to send a link to the latest XRD spec draft on his blog to the XRI TC list.

3) X.509-BASED XRD TRUST PROFILE

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/201001/msg00083.html

Will reported that he and Breno have not had the time to push it forward. They are still asking questions about the use cases.

4) NEW BUSINESS

Eran has “cancelled” the LRDD spec and reunited it with the Hostmeta spec, which is now up to version 12. James Manger is now helping with it. It is going to last call on Monday, which means there is only about 2-3 weeks for review.

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hammer-hostmeta-12

The major change is that discovery via HTML has been deprecated. So now Host-Meta can describe host-wide metadata or resource-specific metadata using templates. This has one minor impact on Webfinger, but otherwise is much smaller and more compact.

# ALL TC MEMBERS: Review this and get any feedback to Eran.

5) NEXT CALL

Because XRI 3.0 Syntax is stable at this point and there is no one pressing to move it to CD/CS until the XDI 1.0 specifications are ready, we don’t need to meet about that. And with the XRD work finished and waiting on votes, and the XRD trust profiles waiting on Will/Breno, we agreed we don’t need any further XRI TC calls this summer until we reach the point of an OASIS Standard vote on XRD 1.0.

So, no further calls until the XRD 1.0 Committee Specification vote is complete. An email will be sent to the list when the next call is needed.

Have a great summer, and REMEMBER TO VOTE!