Subject: Call for Nominations - name and purpose

The following information must be included in the Call for Nominations.

Name and purpose:

OASIS [name] TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
OASIS [name of TC] Technical Committee
[purpose of committee goes here]

In our San Jose meeting we talked about including both XSLT and XPath in
the scope of our work.  I support this.  Our discussion group name does not
reflect this, however, as we are just called "XSLT Conformance" ... we may
be stuck with this name for mail list purposes (also, it isn't unwieldy),
but we can still formally call the group anything since we are at the
formative stage.

I propose we name the committee: "The OASIS XSLT/XPath Conformance
Technical Committee".

I feel the purpose should be loosely described in order to guarantee
whatever we end up with still fits successfully within the stated purpose.

I propose our purpose be: To develop and publish the OASIS XSLT/XPath
Conformance Report.

This is general enough that whatever we decide to include in the report
(documents, test files, etc.) will fit this one sentence purpose.

I feel we *are not* providing conformance certification or any process or
service for conformance testing, just the report itself.  At least one of
our members, NIST (and others who have not yet stated publicly), are
interested in such processes and services.  We will rely on them to help us
meet their needs to provide such processes and services by helping us
understand where our report successfully equips them, or fails to be
sufficient in supporting their provision of these.

Therefore, our purpose is just to produce the report and our measure of
success will be the utility of the report to others to provide conformance
services related to XSLT and XPath.

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/