Subject: Re: Call for Nominations - meetings

At 00/05/10 10:30 -0400, David Marston/CAM/Lotus wrote:
>I propose that once we get the membership identified, we take a more
>serious inventory of our respective conferencing capabilities.

Yes, except that the schedule of meetings has to be established first in
order to properly inform those who commit.

I'd rather not require video-conferencing unless, perhaps, Sun has a mate
on their side for their meeting room.  Let's assume it cannot be available
and then, if it is, all the better for people's travel plans.

>We also
>started to talk about whether we want something beyond the mailing list for
>asynchronous discussion, though I'm leaning against further development
>there until we establsih a need. In other words, most of the work would be
>by mailing list and its associated archive,

Yes, I agree.  I don't think we need a lot of face-to-face and I would like
to see a lot of work done by mail.

>and the few synchronous
>(same-time) discussions would be a mix of face-to-face and some form of
>teleconferencing.

Is the schedule I set out acceptable?

>The set of people who participated in the preliminary
>organizational discussion was relatively clustered (into 4 clusters IIRC),

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

>so prospects are good for teleconferencing.
>
>We might be able to have a face-to-face here in Cambridge, if several
>members will be attending XML World in Boston on September 5-8.

Good point, but we could make that a public informational meeting and not
an official meeting established before the members commit.

Thanks for this input!

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/