Subject: Re: Which file should be the basis for pointing into XSLT?

"G. Ken Holman" wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I have obtained the DSSSL scripts used by James to create the XSLT
> Recommendation document.  I was going to modify them to produce a rendition
> of the document useful for navigation purposes for the test suite
> documentation.
>
> I've been trying to think of the best way to render the Recommendation for
> our use in creating the pointers and for the user's use when we use the
> pointers in our document ... but, I need your opinion.
>
> Should I base the navigation of the XSLT specification on the XML source
> file or on the HTML rendition?  I'm speaking here of when one of our tests
> references one of the normative locations of the XSLT Recommendation, where
> should it point?

Ken,

The normative location of the recommendation, AFAIK, is http://w3.org/TR/xslt

When you get there, what you see is the HTML version.  I would assume this
is the normative location, not the xml source, so that's where you should point.
I am not sure it should point at a different version (i.e. one you cook for this
group's purposes)....but if it does, it should be character by character equivalent
(in the user's view) to the one located at w3.org.

> I am of two minds:
>
> (1) I figured the XML source of the XSLT specification is normative and the
> HTML rendition is just that, a rendition of the normative document, so we
> could be referencing the normative document and users of the suite could
> then navigate into the source document (but what would they use for browsing?)
>
> (2) I also figured the HTML rendition of the XSLT specification is what
> most (all?) users of our test suite will be using, hence the pointers could
> be relative to an XHTML version of the rendition document ... but would
> there ever be other renditions?
>
> I can modify the DSSSL scripts to go either way, I'm just not sure what the
> committee thinks should be done.
>
> Looking in Tony's document, he is basing his pointers on the XML source of
> the recommendation ...
>
>      "An element from the XSLT namespace may have any attribute..."
>
>      XML Source: /spec[1]/body[1]/div1[2]/div2[1]/p[4]
>
> But the document people will be navigating will be the HTML document ...
> the corresponding XPointer really isn't very useful, but could be what I
> base my indexing on:
>
>      HTML Output: /html[1]/body[1]/p[26]
>
> I think that perhaps what we do is document the XML XPointer but use the
> HTML XPointer for jumping into a modified version of the HTML rendition
> with anchors for every text node.  I'll work out a way to synchronize the two.
>
> What say you?

I'd say yes, "jump" to the HTML version, document it as if it were to the
XML source.

BTW, if you're more comfortable working with XSLT than with DSSSL, there's
a version of an XSLT stylesheet I wrote sometime in 1999 that transforms
the xml to html. It's floating around somewhere in the w3 site...

Eduardo

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo@eng.Sun.COM
XML Technology Center          |         Phone:  (650) 786-5498