Subject: Re: The Catalog of Vague, Draft 1

Committee members,

I'd be more than glad to transmit this (or subsequent drafts) to the XSL working
group at their upcoming face-to-face meeting, September 20-22.

It would be most convenient if the [mnemonic-label] for each item had
also a reference to a section/subsection in the spec, so XSL working
group members could find the reference quickly and unambigously.

For instance: [attrib-after-comment:7.1.3]

I must confess, though, that I'm a bit surprised that you've included
[attrib-after-comment] and [attrib-after-PI] in the list of ambiguities
in the XSL spec.

Section 7.1.3 explicitely says that
--
The following are all errors:

                      o    Adding an attribute to an element after children have been added to it; implementations
                            may either signal the error or ignore the attribute.
--

According to production 43 at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-content,
comments and PIs have the same status as other children, so

Similarly, I wonder what prompted [message-full-template] - Section 13 seems to
be pretty unambiguous to me:
                 "...The
                  content of the xsl:message instruction is a template. The xsl:message is instantiated by
                  instantiating the content to create an XML fragment. This XML fragment is the content of the
                  message."

The above, read in conjunction with the definition of % template, which containst %instructions,
which contains xsl:element, seems rather clear to me. What am I missing?

Please understand that I'm not pushing back, I'm just trying to make sure that
what this TC submits to the XSL WG is clear and well-reasoned so as to avoid
any misunderstandings.

Thanks

Eduardo

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo@eng.Sun.COM
XML Technology Center          |         Phone:  (650) 786-5498