Subject: Comments on discretionary items list

Hi!
Here are comments/suggestions on discretionary items list I promised on the
last meeting.

The following items seem not to fall into discretionary category
	  signal-non-xslt-attribute-uri 		- spec says that
XSLT processor must ignore attributes without giving an error if it doesn't
recognize the namespace URI.
	  signal-non-xslt-top-level-element-uri   - spec says that XSLT
processor must ignore top-level element without giving an error if it
doesn't recognize the namespace URI.

This one looks problematic as it is rather discretionary feature of the XML
processor and particular stylesheet then of XSLT/XPath processor:

	disc-xpath-default-attribute

This one is a statement of an unfortunate reality. I didn't study that
precisely, but I doubt that any of XSLT processor vendors can prove that
they are able to detect any infinite loop.
So it seem not to fall into discretionary category:

	disc-detect-infinite-loop

These discretionary items don't seem to be the basis for any kind of
conformance or interop testing:
	disc-element-use-qname-prefix, disc-attribute-use-qname-prefix,
disc-generate-id, disc-non-result-tree-namespace-node, disc-resource-limit

For these two it is better to ask "What languages are supported ...?" and
"Which variation of sorting/number presentation is chosen for each
particular language".

	disc-convert-number, disc-sort

Though this item don't seem to be a basis of any kind of conformance testing
directly, we might have in the future some tests that depends on this item,
so it is better ask "How the implementation orders documents for document
function?", because the order IS implementation dependant.

	disc-different-document-node-document-order

The answer for this one can be different for different signal-error
discretionary items, it should be asked in the corresponding discretionary
questions for each specific error handling. I saw example from Tony Graham
("User's discretion" mail) that concur with that.
	disc-error-recovery

This item could be added as it is not controlled by XSLT recommendation.

disc-sort-qname

10 Sorting
data-type specifies the data-type of the strings; the following values are
allowed:
a QName with a prefix is expanded into an expanded-name as described in
[..]; the expanded-name identifies data-type' the behavior in this case is
NOT SPECIFIED BY THIS DOCUMENT.

Question: What is the behavior of XSLT processor in case it doesn't support
specified data-type for sort?

Thank you!

Dr. Kirill Gavrylyuk,
Data and XML Technologies,