Subject: Re: Canonical XML went to CR on 26 October

David_Marston@lotus.com wrote:

> The W3C's spec for Canonical XML has now moved forward to
> Candidate Recommendation status. See
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xml-c14n-20001026
> for the spec itself. This phase ends 24 November unless
> surprises occur.
>
> The relevance to our project is that we can plan on the
> existence of a standard and probably some tools that will
> neutralize "unimportant" differences in XML files. This will
> allow delivery of "correct output" files for each test case
> that produces XML output that will be able to be compared
> with actual output from any given processor. Actually, I
> wouldn't be surprised if generate-id() results will need
> human scanning, but most differences can be neutralized.
> .................David Marston

Last time I took a look at the C14N proposal (admittedly, some
months ago), comments (that is, <!--    -->) were gobbled up
and never output. If that is still true, how can you use it on the
output and still get any kind of testing for xsl:comment ?

(I know I should take a look at the C14N proposal before
sending this message, but w3.org seems to be down; my
apologies if this is a waste of bandwidth).

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo@eng.Sun.COM
XML Technology Center          |         Phone:  (650) 786-5498