Subject: Tin Man Design Question 3 - to assign Jan. 9th?

Here is one of the issues identified in my message titled
"Test Case Markup & Cataloging, Tin Man edition" that I sent
to this list on 12/1/2000:
3. Whether to have categories, and if so, what the categories
   are (Carmelo's proposal or other)

DISCUSSION:
In the Tin Man proposal, there *is* a category attribute with
a short list of categories....
<!ATTLIST TestCase
  Category ( XSLT-Structure | XSLT-Data-Model | XSLT-Template
  | XSLT-Result-Tree | XSLT-Data-Manipulation
  | XSLT-Extendability | XSLT-Output | XPath-Location-Path
  | XPath-Expression | XPath-Core-Function
  | XPath-Data-Model | Mixed ) #REQUIRED >

IMHO, the only way we really care about categories is if we use
them to divide up the submitted tests for our own analysis. For
example, if each of us will take a bunch of test cases (pooled
from all submitters) and review them alone, then report back to
the committee, then it would make sense to have exactly nine
categories and give one to each person. This brings up the big
question of how we intend to review the tests. If someone has
some other justification for having categories, speak up now or
they might not be required. (I also haven't been able to think
of a reason to have categories but make them optional.)

I suspect that we can discuss and vote on whether to have a set
of OASIS-defined categories, then assign follow-up work if we
will have them. The follow-up could start with the above set.
.................David Marston