Subject: Re: draft Submission Manual

Stan is assigned to write the Submission Procedure, so he should take
the draft Submission Manual and add to it. It needs steps like:
1. Put all test (input) files in a "clean" directory tree and ZIP up.
2. Put reference output files in a "clean" directory tree and ZIP up.
3. Make a catalog in XML per the guidelines in [filenames here].
4. Validate your catalog using valcat.
5. Mail them somewhere.

I'll deal with a couple questions here.

>2. The Committee will create a directory tree of test cases, based on
>the Submitter's ID where the first level down the tree separates out
>the tests by Submitter. [Is this still accurate?]

Better to say:
2. The Committee will create a directory tree of test cases, where the
first level down the tree separates out the
tests by Submitter.

>3....Correct output files and parameter-setting files will be
>located in specified directories of the mirrored file hierarchy.
>[Can we be more specific?]

The parameter-setting part is still unclear. For the other files:
"The submitter should supply a reference output for each test, in the
form of a file serialized as XML, HTML, or text, according to the
test. For tests of xsl:message, the generated message byte-stream
should be provided in a separate file, shorn of all verbiage before
or after the actual message. These files should be named and placed
in a directory tree to correlate directly with the test inputs. The
Committee will assemble a consolidated tree of all reference outputs,
then create another tree that contains XML/UTF-8 representations of
the InfoSet of each file."

>7. In cases where the Submitter is resubmitting new tests along with
>tests that are unchanged since the previous submission, the Reviewers
>will filter out the new tests from the old.  [Is this correct?  How
>will Reviewers do this?]

I think this should be dealt with in a section entitled "How to
Update Your Submission" that says new tests should have non-conflicting
names, while changed tests should have a newer date (in per-case data
in the catalog of test cases) than the previous submission. We will
accept updates that contain a whole suite as long as we can readily
determine which tests actually changed from the prior submission.
.................David Marston