Subject: [xslt-conformance] More about packaging (includes design question)

We are anticipating two milestones where we release a package in the
form of a ZIP file. The first one is the release of a Call For
Submissions, accompanied by a "validation environment" aimed at
submitters of test cases. Later, we'll release a Pilot Edition of the
test system, whose primary audience is the test lab.

I had pictured the validation environment release as being one ZIP
containing about 20-22 files, with no subdirectory structure. If we
want to provide the preliminary Lotus and Microsoft submissions as
examples, then we start to resemble the Pilot structure.

At our meeting today, we progressed on our discussion of structure to
the point where we need tree diagrams. Here is my current picture of
what we said about the Pilot release.
<crude-ASCII-art>
Top level, direct contents of the ZIP file, to be unpacked into an
empty directory of the user's choosing:
+-----------------------------------+
|     XSLTtest (whole package)      |
+-----------------------------------+
       |        |        |        |
       |        |        |        +--- README.TXT and Group M
       |        |        |
       |        |    +--------------------------------+
       |        |    | submit (for test case writers) |
       |        |    +--------------------------------+
       |        |                  |
       |        |                  +--- Files in Group S
       |        |
       |   +-------------------------+
       |   | operate (for test labs) |
       |   +-------------------------+
       |                |
       |                +--- Files in Group O

| tests (actual test cases and results) |
   |      |      |      |
   |      |      |      +--- (labs can make more directories here)
   |      |      |
   |      |   +-----------------------------------------+
   |      |   | ref-info (InfoSetized reference output) |
   |      |   +-----------------------------------------+
   |      |
   |  +--------------------------------+
   |  | ref-raw (raw reference output) |
   |  +--------------------------------+

| input (input files identified in test case catalog) |

   +--- subdirectories by submitter (named by OASIS committee)
</crude-ASCII-art>

Group M includes files for general audiences. The README at this level
helps the reader associate themselves with a particular audience: "If you
are primarily interested in running the test suite, see the README file
in the 'operate' directory; if you are primarily interested in writing
tests for this suite, see the README file in the 'submit' directory;..."
Group M might include Ben's document about the generic test system.
Group M might also include the documents about discretionary items.

Group S includes most of the documents that we have been polishing off
lately (submission policy, etc.) and the various DTDs and stylesheets
that pertain to cataloging test cases, otherwise known (to us) as the
validation environment.

Group O includes the document about setting up and running the test
suite, plus the files that perform rendition, InfoSetizing,
canonicalization, etc.

The "tests" subdirectory has no documents because they all go into the
"operate" subdirectory. Actually, it might warrant a README anyway to
explain what's in it and to refer to the test lab guide for more info.

Now, on to the DESIGN QUESTION: do you want to have the Call For
Submissions package use the big directory structure above?
.................David Marston