Subject: Re: [xslt-conformance] Spreading the Work

At 03:45 PM 10/24/01 -0700, Eduardo Gutentag wrote:
>[...]
>from a procedural point of view, the product of OASIS TCs should carry a
>copyright
>that allows for "stealing" (their words ;-)
>(see http://oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.shtml)
>as long as the copyright and OASIS's name are preserved.

I also wonder if we need to distinguish different cases:

1. wholesale transfer of a test suite, such as might happen with XML

2. taking and modifying bits and pieces (such as I would anticipate for UAAG).

3. borrowing the general idea, but re-implementing the details (e.g., DTD,
scripts, etc)

In case #2, I know that UAAG is not interested in our results and reporting
parts (Infoset-ize, Canonicalize, compare) -- it doesn't fit at all with
how one would test a UA for accessibility conformance.

However, they might want to take our catalog and test case description DTD
as a starting point, and modify it for their own test-case description
language -- they would throw out some stuff, add some stuff, etc.  And they
might want to do something similar with our design for describing the
discretionary behavior, and the scripts for combining catalog & discretion
to generate a customized suite.

In other cases, their approach could be closer to #3.

>I don't see that copyright notice in what is visible through the XSLT's home
>page at OASIS (under the one you mentioned, "5. Documents") so I'm not sure
>what the status is in this case.

The above-referenced IPR document is not very helpful.  Most of it
addresses IPR of submitters and contributors to OASIS works, and
disclaimers about warranty etc.  Very little about what the *public* can
do.  OASIS.IPR.4 (c) comes closest.  But as I read that section, it seems
to say "no modifications or derivatives except for OASIS business".

>Ken, you might want to consult with Karl as to what is appropriate in this
>case, or you might consider slapping the right copyright notice on the
>available
>product of the TC

I think this is a good idea.  Especially, I would like some take on the
range of "stealing rights", #1 - #3 above.

-Lofton.

Lofton Henderson
1919 Fourteenth St., #604
Boulder, CO   80302