Subject: Re: [xslt-conformance] Spreading the Work

At 01/10/24 17:25 -0600, Lofton Henderson wrote:
>At 03:45 PM 10/24/01 -0700, Eduardo Gutentag wrote:
>>[...]
>>from a procedural point of view, the product of OASIS TCs should carry a
>>copyright
>>that allows for "stealing" (their words ;-)
>>(see http://oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.shtml)
>>as long as the copyright and OASIS's name are preserved.
>
>I also wonder if we need to distinguish different cases:
>
>1. wholesale transfer of a test suite, such as might happen with XML
>
>2. taking and modifying bits and pieces (such as I would anticipate for UAAG).
>
>3. borrowing the general idea, but re-implementing the details (e.g., DTD,
>scripts, etc)
>
>In case #2, I know that UAAG is not interested in our results and
>reporting parts (Infoset-ize, Canonicalize, compare) -- it doesn't fit at
>all with how one would test a UA for accessibility conformance.

That's fine ... the "genericization" we did was for the collection of
files, not how the files are used in our particular situation.

>However, they might want to take our catalog and test case description DTD
>as a starting point, and modify it for their own test-case description
>language -- they would throw out some stuff, add some stuff, etc.  And
>they might want to do something similar with our design for describing the
>discretionary behavior, and the scripts for combining catalog & discretion
>to generate a customized suite.

This is precisely where we focused our work on making it generic.  We can
patriate changes that are suggested if we get the time to make it even more
useful to other TCs.  In fact, perhaps we can move the generic processes
"up one level" to the Conformance TC once we iron out some kinks and get
public comment.

>In other cases, their approach could be closer to #3.

Hopefully their analysis of the scripts we have will provide for
improvements that they can just use our according to our IPR policies.  We
hope (at least *I* hope) that the ideas are accepted well and that OASIS is
seen as a leader in this area.

As I said before, we have been struggling with releasing our first efforts
for a long time now, and as we got closer to completing things it only made
sense to delay things "a little bit more" in order to save others effort by
giving them access to a generic framework.

I'm pleased with the efforts of our committee members ... we just need
another push or two to get our initial results before the public eye (hint!
hint! to committee members!!.

--
G. Ken Holman                      mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.               http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/