Subject: Re: [xslt-conformance] Example of a submission

>>The catalog itself validated okay under valcat except for one
>>thing: valcat thought that the two references to xsltcfg.xml were
>>different files.

>I'm not sure what you are describing above ... except for the
> <elaboration> elements, everything seems to work just fine for me.

Under what XSLT processor? For me, it fails under Saxon, so I have a
non-conflicting demonstration of the issue.

>>That probably reflects some newly-revised thinking about
>>generated IDs and the document() function. I think that we should
>>settle for string equivalence of the names.

>Can you detail an example?

Okay, valcat has this segment of code:
<xsl:if test="generate-id(document($discretionary-configuration-href))
        !=generate-id($configuration)">
  <problem>Configuration file supplied (<xsl:text/>
    <xsl:value-of select="/submissions/@configuration-href"/>
    <xsl:text>) is not pointing to same file as the </xsl:text>
    <xsl:text>discretionary document's configuration file (</xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="$discretionary-configuration-href"/>
    <xsl:text>)</xsl:text>
  </problem>
</xsl:if>
where the two variables, $discretionary-configuration-href and
$configuration, refer to xsltcfg.xml with no path. Some recent
research and discussions around here regarding generate-id() led
us to conclude that each invocation of document() should have its
own snapshot of whatever it's reading, and hence the nodes must be
distinct. Thus, two calls that amount to document('xsltcfg.xml')
should be distinct and the resultant generated IDs should also be
distinct. To recognize that it's a file and even exactly the same
file, one has to use up some CPU cycles on an obscure possibility
that caching might work, when the stylesheet author would typically
have addressed that unusual case anyway.

Just checking that the filenames are the same is sufficiently
rigorous for our purposes.
.................David Marston