Subject: [xslt-conformance] IPR gripe

Looking at xsltsubs.xml, does anyone else think it is silly (absurd!) to have full text of a 32-line IPR policy in a 6-line XML file?

Compare that to:

"Copyright ©1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 W3C® (MIT, INRIA, Keio), All Rights Reserved. W3C liability, trademark, document use and software licensing rules apply.",

which appears in every W3C standard (and that's *all* that appears in almost every standard).  Each of the words Copyright, liability, ... is a hyperlink to the appropriate document.  In a format where one can't attach hyperlinks, e.g., in our DTDs, then an expression such as this would work:

"Copyright (C) The Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards [OASIS] (2001). All Rights Reserved.  Copyright, liability, trademark, document use, and software licensing as defined in http://www.oasis-open.org/... apply."  (The URL would point at the appropriate all-in-one IPR document.)

I understand that we're just doing what we have been told is necessary to comply with OASIS IPR rules, but there are much less ugly ways to achieve equally valid protection.  If these are not permissible, then our rules are flawed.

-Lofton.