Subject: [xslt-conformance] Directory structures

As I'm reviewing the various components, it occurs to me that we have
several file trees that will be passing over the net. Chronologically,
they are:
1. The bundle of files that we send to potential test submitters
2. The bundle of files that submitters send back to us
3. The Pilot Release, consolidating xsl:number test submissions
4. Later editions of the test suite
(After step 3, we get more submissions in the (2) format over time, and
make releases in the (4) format over time.)

Submissions, the "(2) format" above, come to us in a format dictated by
the Submission Procedures document that Stan has been working on. We
assume that the submissions will be structured for easy integration into
the structure we choose for (3) and (4). And as Kirill pointed out, we
should try to allow execution of one submitter's tree of test cases
without requiring moving directories around.

The Submission Procedures must instruct the submitters about setting up
their directory tree and advise them about the names and places of two
files: their equivalent of testcat.xml and xsltsubs.xml. If these files
are in a directory named after the submitter, they can have those very
filenames. If they are up at a cross-submitter level of the tree, then
the filenames must incorporate the submitter's name. Finally, the
xsltsubs-equivalent could be higher and point down a level or two to
a file named testcat.xml. (Clearly, we should avoid requiring Lotus to
submit two lotus.xml files with wildly different content.)

None of the above directly dictates the format of part (1) above, but
it would be beneficial to harmonize them. In particular, the current
example files testcat.xml and xsltsubs.xml in Prototype 7 should probably
be set off in a directory that exemplifies what we want for the
submissions. That implies that what we send out for (1) is a directory
tree. Further, let's assume that we change the submitter name in our
example to "VendorX" to make it recognizable. Our Submitter's Kit (the
stuff in Part 1 above) could unZIP into this:
(unnamed root)
    +--- readme.txt and some other documents for submitters

    +--- VALIDATE directory containing XSLs and DTDs, batch files,
    |    and those XML files pertaining to validation

    +--- DOCS directory containing documents pertaining to test lab
    |    operations or overall theory

    +--- EXAMPLE or "VendorX" directory containing submission example
That last part is arranged in the same format that we'd like to get
back from the submitters.

The Pilot Release would have a DOCS directory in the same position,
a SYSTEM directory containing the tools for filtering test cases (per our
discussion in October), the master directory of tests and correct output,
and maybe other directories (VALIDATE could be replicated there to
inspire test labs to submit cases).

Any comments or additions?
.................David Marston