Subject: Re: [xslt-conformance] RE: IPR policy question

At 08:19 AM 11/21/2001 -0500, Karl F. Best wrote:
>[...]
>I don't agree.

Okay, we disagree.

Will you nevertheless ask Legal whether a referencing mechanism is acceptable?

>In the first place, the OASIS IPR policy states in IPR.4(A) that "OASIS
>specifications shall include the following notice:" and in IPR.4(C) that
>"The following copyright notice and disclaimer shall be included in all
>OASIS specification-related documentation:" In other words, the
>statements must be included, not simply referred to.

If Legal agrees with this, then I suggest that OASIS IPR policy needs an
overhaul.

>My second objection is that hyperlinks only work in electronic form.

Hyperlinks are one of the two alternatives that I suggested.

>They don't work on paper, so once a person prints out the specification
>on paper the effective copyright language is lost. And even
>electronically it's not foolproof: note that I replied to your email
>using plain text (rather than HTML), and the hyperlinks in the W3C
>snippet are now lost.

On the other hand, the first thing I did with the 6-line XML file on my
local system was to cut out the 32-line statement embedded in its middle,
so that I could see the beginning and the end of the file on the same screen.

>So as long as everyone refers to the web page, and
>only the web page, for the spec the copyright statement is safe, but as
>soon as it begins to be disseminated further it will be lost.

I don't get your point.  It is only lost if one cuts the abbreviated
statement that I proposed.  Same as if one cuts the 32-line chunk.

Active hyperlinks are one of two options I suggested.  The other was
reference to a location where the complete text could be found. Go back and
check the words of my original suggestion -- I'm pretty sure that the brief
statement legally binds the user to the contents of the terms at the
referenced location.

I believe that an unambiguous and resolvable reference to a license gives
adequate legal protection, whether it is accessed by clicking a hyperlink
on a piece of text or by some other means (typing a URL in 'location'
window of a browser, or by sending a fax to OASIS and requesting a copy, or
...).

If these assertions are not true, then W3C has a real problem -- thousands
of documents are unprotected.  (I have worked directly with their legal
team -- setting up SVG test suite IPR mechanisms -- and doubt that they
have made a blunder of this magnitude!)

By the way, a variation on the abbreviated-reference proposal is to include
a copy of the license/copyright statement in a file in distributed
packages.   This has been done, in both standards and commercial venues in
which I have worked.

Bottom line -- some TC people think that this is an onerous requirement,
and looking around at other venues suggests that it need not be so.  So why
not try to streamline things and make life easier for the TCs?

-Lofton.