Subject: RE: [xslt-conformance] Issue statement regarding encoding

If MSXML 4.0 is used then we don't output any encoding information. It
will be simply output
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
And the result of transformation. This is when method="xml" on
xsl:output

This is because and according to our specs, to retain the encoding
transformNode is not the right option.
We would rather use transformNodeToObject method on DOM and specify the
right encoding in xsl:output.

Thanks
Pranav Kandula

-----Original Message-----
From: David Marston/Cambridge/IBM [mailto:david_marston@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 12:53 PM
To: xslt-conformance@lists.oasis-open.org

A couple months ago, I was talking with the Microsoft guys (Pranav and
Kirill) about our respective submissions. We discovered that Xalan
creates UTF-8 encoded output by default, while MSXML creates UTF-16
encoded output by default. Neither team has been making it a habit to
include xsl:output directives to force the encoding. Thus, most of our
reference outputs are UTF-8, and most of theirs are UTF-16.

If I'm going to try their tests on Xalan for informal purposes, just to
evaluate what the test is doing, I'll probably insert an xsl:output
statement into each of their stylesheets that doesn't already have one.
In the context of this Committee, though, that would mean I was altering
their test.

Will our output comparison be able to compare UTF-8 and UTF-16
adequately? If not, how do we want to work around the defaults?

In a strict sense, we also have the issue that every test case that
lacks an xsl:output encoding declaration invokes one of these
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xslt/xsltdisc.htm#default-encoding-
UTF-8
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xslt/xsltdisc.htm#default-encoding-
UTF-16
discretionary items. We could flag every such test, but I think it's
preferable to discuss our real solution before embarking on that path.

This should be on the agenda for our next meeting.
.................David Marston