Subject: Re: [xslt-conformance] xsl:number issue: value set to non-number

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, David Marston/Cambridge/IBM wrote:

..
..Now the issue remains: should that be "NaN" or "(NaN)"? I think the
..above erratum has leeway because it doesn't say whether "resulting
..string" must always be formatted, or maybe inserting it into the tree
..means inserting in the middle of a stream of text that already has the
..( and ) inserted separately.
..
..What do you think, and why?
..A) It should be (NaN); anything gets formatted
..B) It should be NaN; that's the "resulting string"
..C) Some other output?
..D) Must refer this to the XSL WG for resolution
..
..The fact that XSLT2 gives clear direction for choice A could be taken
..as an indication that we should opt for D and quickly (?) get a new
..erratum, which is likely to require A. There will be several more
..issues to follow, so we can bundle all our xsl:number issues that
..need referral.

I think the "right answer" is A. Don't know whether it's practical to do D
to find out if we're right.

--

Jeff Kenton
DataPower Technology, Inc.