Subject: [xslt-conformance] More about tracking review status

In a prior message,
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xslt-conformance/200208/msg00005.html
I raised questions about some of the status codes we use to track the
progress of reviews. Most of them center around the "s3" status, so
I'll elaborate further, per the discussion in yesterday's meeting.

Status s3 is the "remanded" status, which is not described or even
recognized in out Review Policy at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xslt/reviews.htm
I'm going on recollections to say that it is being sent back for minor
repair by the submitter.

How does a test case enter this status?
First, we need to note that after 2 reviews are in, a test moves out
of "s5" status into one of several statuses (s0, s1, s2, maybe s3) by
action of the person tracking status (currently Carmelo). The choice
of next status after s5 is governed by what the reviewers say. Do we
want the whole TC to be involved in remanding cases back to the
submitter? If not, then Carmelo does it directly upon seeing that
one or both reviewers have suggested a minor but necessary fix. If
the test goes from s5 to s0, meaning it needs review by the whole TC,
then it could go from s0 to s3 by TC action. Similarly, if we refer
the test to the W3C Working Group (status s4), they could respond that
the test needs a minor fix, in which case the status becomes s3.

How does a test case leave this status?
At our 25-Sept-2002 meeting, Carmelo suggested that when a fixed test
is re-submitted to us, that it first be sent to the reviewers that
requested a fix. For a small and obvious fix, he might be able to
just put the test in s1 status (accepted), rather than refer it to
the one (s5 status) or two (s6 status) reviewers who requested the
fix. If the whole TC or the W3C WG requested the fix, then the test
could either be discussed again by the whole TC (s0 status) or could
just go back for two reviews (s6). Do we want to formalize or refine
any of this?
.................David Marston