Subject: Introduction and plea for advice

Hi, I am Toby Considine, presumptive chair of the new oBIX TC (Open Building Information Xchange) and an observer of the XSLT conformance group.  oBIX will, we hope, become the standard for an abstract interface to the more thqan 50 vertical controls markets in commercial buildings, providing both operational data to the enterprise, and a means for high-order supervisory control of those systems from the enterprise.

I am observing XSLT conformance not only for personal interest, which is large, but becuase I am pondering the mirror image question; what makes an XML dialect fit for a good XSLT? Is it a measure of the quality of an XML dialect that it can be summarized/translated into another dialect?

oBIX has a large number of XML dialects that it fits between.  These range from EBXML-related supplies ordering, to GBXML design conformance and sustainability operation, to EasyTalk negotiations with the power grid.  I am thinking that a design consideration for oBIX might be that the operations data from buildings can easily be rolled up to its ancilary XML-spaces.

Having said this, I am not sure what I mean by this.

In any case, I welcome any and allcomments on this matter.

thanks

tc

Toby Considine      !"We know the good, we apprehend it clearly,

UNC Chapel Hill     ! but we can't bring it to achievement."
Chapel Hill, NC     !

Phone (919)962-9073 !
Fax (919)962-1102   !            --Euripides
toby.considine@facilities.unc.edu