Subject: Re: [xslt-conformance] Introduction and plea for advice

>I am pondering the mirror image question; what makes an XML dialect fit for a good XSLT?

XSLT is designed to be very flexible about both extracting data from nodes and producing output nodes holding the requested data. The main design point I see is that individual data values should be kept separate, to minimize the use of functions like substring() to pull values apart. You can see that design point reflected in our design for the catalog of test cases; that's why items like file-path and file-name are separate. Beyond that, you should just follow the good practices for element vs. attribute, namespace usage, etc.

If you plan to have an XML Schema for your vocabulary, you will have to discuss data types. XSLT 2.0 is designed to harmonize with those types (see the W3C Schema Part 2 document) and probably doesn't impose any additional constraints.

>Is it a measure of the quality of an XML dialect that it can be ... translated into another dialect?

Definitely. It's surprising how often you need to perform transformations.
.................David Marston
(speaking for himself, not the TC)