Subject: Re: [xslt-conformance] Future plans (if any) of the XSLT Conformance TC

David,

a couple of clarifications, if I may:

On 03/04/2005 02:26 PM, david_marston@us.ibm.com wrote:
> The current voting members of the XSLT Conformance TC think that we are
> not likely to get an increase in participation, especially when the new
> IPR rules come into effect. All contributed test cases, and feedback as
> well if I am reading it correctly, will need to be accompanied by a clear
> grant of rights to OASIS.

Actually, all that the process requires is that the materials be
contributed again, this time under whatever IPR mode the TC selects.
Not feedback (unless the feedback was contributed in writing and made
its way into a given specification that the TC is still working on).

> I think some of the likely sources of test cases
> may not have obtained suitably clear rights from their contributors.
> Without new blood, we have to be realistic about what we can do, both for
> XSLT 1.0 and 2.0, so we drafted a set of scenarios for a potential formal
> vote.
>
> The scenarios actually broke down into two votes, one about short-term
> activity and one about the longer-range future. Outside concerns
> influenced both time frames. For the short term, we (possibly being
> biased) noted that Apache is the site of visible activity to expand and
> improve the 1.0 collection. I don't know of any other collection that is
> non-proprietary and being maintained like Apache. For the longer term, the
> XSL WG at the W3C needs to have test cases but has not discussed their
> views on maintenance and cultivation of 2.0 test cases. The issues are
> presented below with a contingency about the latter. As for Apache, you
> may wish to send in a comment about whether Apache is
> better/worse/equivalent for your purposes as a home for a maintained test
> suite.
>
> The non-voting observers on this list should look at the issues below and
> take it as a notice of the set of options we think are in our control. If
> these options spur you to take action, please reply.

I think that in the options described below it should be noted that the
TC has up to two full years to reach a decision on whether to change to a
new IPR mode (and you need more than 50% of participants in the TC to
have signed the new Membership Agreement to do that) or whether to
finish up and disband.

Thanks!