xspa message

Subject: Re: [xspa] Two comments to the XACML profile

Thanks Duane,

About 1: But the obligations are in the spec, though they are
non-normative. I am not sure it is a good idea to have them in there in
the current form if we all know that it's not a good idea to implement
them like that. Sorry if I don't have a better alternative proposal
right now. :-) I think the key is to change the granularity of the requests.

About 2: Yes, we agree here. What I am really just saying is that this
should be made more explicit in the document. In the figure in section
2.1 I think the very high level box "PIP" should be broken up into
several pieces so it becomes more clear for implementers that there are
different kinds of attributes which are derived from different sources.
For instance "native/intrinsic" resource attributes, resource security
metadata, subject identifying attributes, subject security attributes,
federated subject attributes, etc.

Such composition into a more fine grained architecture would provide a
foundation for future extensibility, give an ability to change
individual pieces over time and help avoiding the risk of building "yet
another future legacy system". Again, my apologies for not having a
concrete proposal yet. I've been focusing on the XACML core spec, so I
haven't had the time to write down this yet.

Best regards,
Erik