xspa message

Subject: RE: [xspa] steps requiered to vote (XSPA) Profile of WS-Trust for Healthcare to TC specification.

Colleagues,

We should all be aware of the “Governing the OASIS Technical Committee Process” available at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php

Section 3 lists the steps of the standards approval process.  Before the TC can approve its Committee Draft as a Committee Specification the TC must conduct a public review of the work.  We have completed that process and now must take our “Public Review Draft” back to “Committee Draft” and approve the changes suggested by Duane if approved by the TC.

If Substantive Changes are made to the specification after the public review, whether as a result of public review comments or from TC Member input, then the TC must conduct another (15 day) review cycle.

“Substantive Change” is:

a change to a specification that would require a compliant application or implementation to be modified or rewritten in order to remain compliant.

I propose that the addition of the diagram and text to the draft do not constitute a substantive change.  That means we are free to vote our updated committee draft to Committee Specification.  The approval of a Committee Specification shall require a Special Majority Vote.

"Special Majority Vote" is a TC vote in which at least 2/3 (two thirds) of the Voting Members vote "yes" and no more than 1/4 (one fourth) of the Voting Members vote "no". […] All Special Majority Votes must be conducted via electronic ballot by the OASIS TC Administrator.

Therefore I will suggest we take these steps at the call this Friday.  Please carefully review the document Duane submitted and bring all your comments.  The Committee Specification cannot be changed – even for slight corrections.  We would have to take it back to committee draft and re-do the electronic vote.  So please read the draft and bring any changes to the call.  Pay special attention to the XML in our examples, since we have to state that the XML is “well formed.”

We can easily make changes to draft on Friday and vote to submit it for electronic vote by the TC for a Committee Specification “on condition that the suggested changes be incorporated into the draft.”  So bring your final changes and we will work them into the draft – or send them to Duane before the meeting.

Please note:

Simultaneously with the approval of a Committee Specification or at a later date, and after three Statements of Use have been presented to the TC, a TC may resolve by Special Majority Vote to submit the Committee Specification to the Membership of OASIS for consideration as an OASIS Standard.

For the members who demonstrated the profile, please ask approval for to release a “statement of use” and include your organizational member.  A statement of use is:

"Statement of Use", with respect to a specification, is a written statement by an OASIS Organizational Member stating that it is successfully using or implementing that specification in accordance with the conformance clauses specified in Section 2.18, and stating whether its use included the interoperation of multiple independent implementations.

When the time comes, you need only send an e-mail to the XSPA TC list stating:

 “Your_membership_sponsor” is successfully using or implementing the “Cross-Enterprise Security and Privacy Authorization (XSPA) Profile of WS-Trust for Healthcare” specification in accordance with the conformance clauses therein.  “Your_membership_sponsor” (does /does not) include the interoperation of multiple independent implementations.

Please start the process of requesting this statement – we do not need it until after the conclusion of the electronic vote to make the current draft a Committee Specification.

Regards,

David

David Staggs, JD, CISSP (SAIC)

Veterans Health Administration