Subject: RE: [business-transaction] Issue maint-9 - proposed solution

Doug,

Thanks - good points.

1. On the question of invalid (unknown) identifiers, there was an issue
and some discussion in the original progression for invalid ids in the
inferiors-list parameters - in particular, whether it was required to
check all the values for validity before using any of them. This seemed
an unreasonable implementation requirement for prepare_inferiors (for
example) - it should be legitimate for an implementation to start
working through the list sending things before faulting when it came
across the wrong value (which must be a result of a programming error of
some kind). For confirm_transaction, however, we felt that a confirm
decision should not be allowed - this works out to be no problem, since
there will have to be a prepare/checking pass anyway. But for all the
messages, whatever the implementation approach, the error would be found
and the fault thrown.

2. Given that, what should happen if a targetted-qualifiers-list has an
invalid identifier ? Again, that's a symptom of programming error. This
time there are possible implementation approaches that wouldn't
automatically detect the fault (e.g. search the lists only when about to
send to a particular inferior). On the other hand, if the error is
detected, the InvalidInferior fault should be thrown (this will require
tweaking the defining text for that fault). So that comes down to:

    If any of the inferior-identifiers in any of the
"inferior-identifier-list"s of the "Targetted-qualifiers-item"s in the
"targetted-qualifiers" is unknown (does not correspond to an enrolled
Inferior, a FAULT/Invalid-inferior XXXX be returned.

with XXXX either "shall" or "may", depending on whether we force
everyone to check or not. In general, I don't like forcing
implementations to check what can only be user-misuse of an interface
(if you want to send me rubbish, why should I be required to say you are
sending me rubbish), but I suspect most people would prefer "shall" in
this case, so there is consistent behaviour.

3. On the question of duplication of an identifer in different items,
that you mentioned in the meeting, I was thinking of adding:

If an inferior-identifier occurs in the "inferior-identifier-list" of
more than one "Targetted-qualifiers-item", the qualifiers for all such
"Targetted-qualifiers-item" shall be included in the
PREPARE/CONFIRM/CANCEL message.

4. Duplicates within the same list (of any of the various kinds of list)
- I don't think we'ed ever thought of this. It's obviously silly (i.e. a
programming error), though such a strange one that I can't imagine
anyone except a tester doing it !  In this case, I really would prefer
to leave it undefined at spec level, and not force every occurrence to
be checked. Perhaps a general statement that the behaviour is undefined
and implementations are free to ignore the duplicate or throw a General
fault.

That's really a separate issue - do you want to raise it as such ?

Peter