Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] DOM question

At 08:13 PM 7/5/2004 +0200, Dieter Weidenbrueck wrote:
>[...]

This is an aside, but I can't find the answer.  As I was looking at this
svg-based example, the getElementById() caught my attention.  I recall some
discussion at Cologne about eliminating it, but can't find any details in
minutes.

Looking at Benoit's latest DOM draft, on Interface Picture there is
getAppStructureById(), which I guess serves the purpose for standard WebCGM
content.

Can someone remind me, why we decided to remove
getElementById()?  (Potentially applicable to XML companion file
metadata.)  I don't mean to re-open the argument or advocate for it -- just
trying to remember.

> >  BTW, the wording of the spec should be changed; the 'name'
> >  attribute in xhtml has been deprecated... it has been replace with
> >  XML:ID.  Therefore, to address a specific 'object', a user should be
> >  referencing the unique 'id'.
>one more defect for Lofton

Whew!  This is a mess.  I think we misread and/or misunderstood the OBJECT
and PARAMETER element definitions.  The NAME attribute is indeed allowed on
OBJECT in HTML 4.01, but it refers specifically to "--submit as part of
form--".

And following the link from the 'name' attribute in HTML 4 OBJECT
definition, one indeed arrives at HTML Forms, where it says that the scope
of definition of the 'name' is the containing form.  I.e., it is not
required to be unique like 'id'.  So the WebCGM 1.0 statement, "The CGM
defined by the object tag can be *uniquely* [my emphasis] addressed using
the <name> parameter [sic!] of the object tag" -- that's bogus in several
ways (at least in the HTML context).

WebCGM section 3.4 shows ID as a permissible attribute on OBJECT.  All
examples (in HTML 4) use 'id' to identify the OBJECT (for referencing).

(Then there is a 'name' attribute on the PARAM element, but it's a totally
different thing than instance identification).

> >  One I'm not a 100% sure about this part of the wording below:
> >  "However, the specific syntax for addressing a specific CGM in an
> >  HTML page is not standardized.", in my example I know that
> >  everything after "document." is completely standardized.  I just
> >  can't find where the W3C says that a global object called 'document'
> >  is the DOM entry point.
>When we wrote WebCGM 1.0 there was no DOM, hence the addressing of a
>WebCGM viewer was restricted to sending a URL to a frame or window.
>This would only work of course if the CGM took up the entire frame or
>window.
>And even this method did not adress a viewer but rather a container for
>a viewer, IE would drop the content of that container and then create
>a new viewer to show the file with the new URL.
>
>So the wording should probably be changed to:
>"...The CGM defined by the object tag can be uniquely addressed using the
><XML:ID> parameter of the object tag. The WebCGM DOM can then be used to
>manipulate that specific viewer."
>
>One question: Should we add some words about grandfathering of the
>"name" attribute of the object tag to ensure upward compatibility?

IMO, the 'name' specification in WebCGM 1.0 is an Erratum.  As I noted
above, that referencing text is wrong in several ways.

That said, I'd like to know how vendors would like to treat it, given that
the mistake has been sitting there for a few years.  Approaches could range
from fix it (Erratum fix means "retroactive" in worst case), to
"grandfather", to somewhere in between, like a non-normative note
explaining the former glitch in the specification and the fact that there's
probably some legacy content floating around.

-Lofton.