Subject: Fwd: Re: Is there an active CGM user's forum? (UTF-8 Question)

WebCGM TC --

Mr. Tony Eastwood has asked whether there is an active CGM user's forum, to which I opined "no".  He is also concerned with the apparent lack of support in viewers for UTF-8, and the completeness of test results in viewers.  Please feel free to contact him directly on these questions.  Below is our most recent email exchange.

Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:10:37 +0000
From: Tony Eastwood <aceastwood@gmail.com>
To: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>
Cc: stuart.a.galt@boeing.com

At 12:08 PM 3/14/2011 +0000, Tony Eastwood wrote:
Lofton

RE : I don't have an answer to this question.  In principle, a conforming WebCGM viewer should be able to render UTF-8 in the basic font set of 13 fonts.  But I don't know how they actually perform.  The only thing I could suggest is to contact the makers of the CGM viewers and sort it out with them.

The performance of viewers is a matter of increasing concern to my customer.

Could I ask you to make a request that the CGM Oasis committee encourages its members with commercial products  to test their viewers against the entire NIST set and publish all the results in a standard fashion.   I note this has been done with the latests tests at http://www.w3.org/Graphics/WebCGM/2009/WebCGM21/new21-matrix.html#lst1.   If it were done for the entire suite that would be very helpful and encourage CGM adoption..

Currently only one of the  'Implementation Conformance Statement'  links on the Oasis site ( 'http://www.cgmopen.org/webcgm/viewers.html )  points to any form of conformance statement.

regards
Tony