Subject: Re: [chairs] need your comments on DocMgmt system requirements

Karl,

Some of these seem like good ideas - but overall I sense this will
be cumbersome to use and hard to implement.  CVS style
generally is more programmer friendly than user friendly.

I'm really after something that's simpler and more predictable
than currently.  I really do not want the system inventing
OASIS filenames for me - generally I have good reasons
for using certain file names - and then also - when it is
a spec' - I want to create that name myself before hand
and keep it - since I do not want to have to edit references
to whatever the system called it - assuming I can find that
out.

The biggest thing by far is the persistent URLs - but I
liked Matt MacKenzies suggestion on this a few weeks
back.  If persistent URLs means something like:

http://persistentURL.oasis-open.org/committees/bcm/documents/kaviCVS/WE4X78/archive/ERYT67A/temporary/store/oasis.bcm.word/draft/february/2004/WT5677/more/draft.120304.bcm.doc

That's not what I have in mind!  Shorter is MUCH better.

The idea of being able to see Access counts is excellent,
that would be helpful.

If the system could automatically track when one document
is replacing another and keep a history tree - that would be
a plus.  But this should be simply driven with a drop-down
list of recently uploaded documents.  We definately
do not want to be writing CVS style command line
storage instructions!

Thanks, DW.