ciq message

Subject: Re: HIPAA-AS Law in US and xCIL

Hi Robert,

> I am an information architect working for a health insurance company
> in the
> U.S. We are trying to standardize the XML schema that we will use to
> communicate customer information between our applications and with
> our external service bureaus. I believe that the xCIL standard
> should form a basis for this. The U.S. has this a new law (HIPAA-AS)
> that limits the consumer information that can be shared among
> healthcare industry companies
> (Insurance companies, Physicians, Hospitals, etc). Is there a
> HIPAA_AS subcommittee of the xCIL Technical Committee?

No, there is not one and if required it can be formed if there is
enough interest. The Medbiqutous Consortium uses xCIL heavily for
storing patients and medical professionals profile.

>I think that
> a metadata attribute for each xCIL element defining it as HIPAA_AS
> compatible or not would be very helpful to U.S. health insurance
> companies. Is there any actvity or discussion about this in your
> committee?

If you and your group are keen to contribute to this activity by
helping us to form a subcommittee, let me know and CIQ TC will be keen to
help.

Regards,

Ram

> Robert Gantt
> Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida
> Consultant
> CIP Project Team
> (904) 905 3401
>
> Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida, Inc., and its subsidiary and
> affiliate companies are not responsible for errors or omissions in
> this e-mail message. Any personal comments made in this e-mail do
> not reflect the views of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida, Inc.
>  The information contained in this document may be confidential and
> intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it
> is addressed.  This document may contain material that is privileged
> or protected from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not
> the intended recipient or the individual responsible for delivering
> to the intended recipient, please (1) be advised that any use,
> dissemination, forwarding, or copying of this document IS STRICTLY
> PROHIBITED; and (2) notify sender immediately by telephone and
> destroy the document. THANK YOU.

Ram Kumar
Chief Architect
MSI

Switch:	+61 2 9412 8333
Direct:	+61 2 9412 8315
Web: http://www.msi.com.au

"Information is The Business"
This is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.
Any use, distribution, disclosure or copying of this email by any party
other than the intended recipient is a breach of confidentiality.

If you have received this email in error, please delete it and notify
MSI immediately