ciq message

Subject: RE: [ciq] CIQ TC Charter - for your review

CIQ TC and Karl,

I have updated the charter to reflect the requirements of OASIS
and thank you Karl for pointing this out.

I have enclosed the updated Charter. Please review and let me know
whether it makes sense.

Regards,

Ram

Ram Kumar
General Manager - Software R&D and Architecture
MSI Business Systems
Suite 204A, 244 Beecroft Road
Epping, NSW 2121, AUSTRALIA
Direct: +61-2-9815 0226
Mobile: +61-412 758 025
Fax: +61-2-98150200

Information
> Quality (CIQ)
> > is to deliver XML specifications for customer profile/information
> management
> > to the industry.
> >

> > NEED FOR CUSTOMER INFORMATION XML SPECIFICATIONS
> >
> > Research tells us that it is much more cost effective to retain and
> > invest in our existing customer base than to build or buy market
share.
> One customer
> > lost through ineffective marketing means a massive expenditure on
> acquiring new customers
> > to make up the lost revenue. This is more apparent as we move into
the
> e-business environment.
> > The Internet has created the need to rethink the issue of customer
> profile/information
> > management for many, if not most, large organisations.
> >
> > In the highly competitive world being driven by e-business,
> organisations have to
> > provide customers, vendors, and potential employees with accurate,
up-
> to-date on-line
> > information. Customer data forms the foundation for all
organisations
> dealing with
> > customers to build effective customer relationships. To be
effective,
> customer data
> > must meet the highest possible standards of both quality and
integrity.

> > Interoperability of customer data across different systems within
and
> outside
> > organisational boundaries, is also becoming significantly important
> particulary
> > in this new millenium where cross border terrorism is high in the
agenda
> for any
> > organisation.
> >
> > To meet the above needs, it is important to implement a common set
of
> standards
> > for managing customer information.
> >
> > Many XML specifications involving customer data have been developed
for
> specific
> > applications (eg. Purchasing, invoicing, shipment, tax, accounting,
> human resources,
> > health, etc). But despite the realisation by organisations on the
> importance of
> > customer information management particularly in global e-business,
no
> XML specifications
> > that concentrate on customer profile/information management
independent
> > of specific application requirements have been developed.
> >
> > This technical committee aims at delivering these specifications
that
> enable
> > interoperability of customer information within and across
> organisational boundaries and
> > at the same time help in maintaining data quality and integrity.
> >
> > GOALS OF CUSTOMER INFORMATION XML SPECIFICATIONS
> >
> > The goals of the CIQ TC specifications for customer
profile/information
> are:
> > - To be application independent
> > - To be vendor neutral
> > - To be free of any royalties and IPRs
> > - To be truly "global" (in particular, capable of representing
customer
> name and address
> >   data of 240+ countries independent of laguage, culture,
geographical
> boundaries,
> >   applications and data formats).
> >

> > WHAT HAS BEEN DELIVERED TO DATE
> >
> > The CIQ TC has delivered 3 versions of the following specifications
> the industry
> > since its inception in December 2000:
> >
> > - extensible Name Language (xNL)
> > - extensible Address Language (xAL)
> > - extensbile Name and Address Language (xNAL)
> > - extensible Customer Information Language (xCIL), and
> > - extensible Customer Relationships Language (xCRL)
> >
> > VERSIONS:
> >
> > xNL: V1.0, 1.1 and 2.0
> > xAL: V1.0, 1.1 and 2.0
> > xNAL: V1.0, 1.1 and 2.0
> > xCIL: V1.0, 1.1 and 2.0
> > xCRL: V1.0 and 1.1
> >

> > WHAT IS NEXT?
> >
> > The CIQ Specifications V2.0 has been stable since July 2002. The
work
> that will be
> > conducted by the CIQ TC is to simplify the current CIQ
specifications to