ciq message

Subject: RE: [ciq] Re: CIQ Specifications & XLink

Colin,

I'm a great believer in KISS, and especially the power of simple plain-old XML!

I think we need to understand better what Ram was seeing using the XLink does - in terms of functionality / goals.

Once we understand that - then I'm sure we can optimize on ways to achieve that - without getting too exotic hopefully!

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
From: Colin.Wallis@ssc.govt.nz
Date: Thu, August 10, 2006 8:17 pm
To: ram.kumar@oasis-open.org, david@drrw.info
Cc: kumar.sydney@gmail.com, ciq@lists.oasis-open.org,
max.voskob@paradise.net.nz

It's time to resurrect that email from Tony Coates that offers some other
suggestions. It would seem that we are going to offer some alternatives to
the optional xLnk (though I was not aware it was optional ..the spec gives
it stronger emphasis.  Alternatives will need to have a good level of tool
support - goes without saying really..

This is what Tony said, and might give us a steer as to alternatives we
could offer:

<<In terms of the W3C, I think XLink is all but a dead spec.  XBRL is the
only user of any importance.  The W3C's effort these days are directed at
RDF & OWL.  Norman Walsh from Sun (& the W3C TAG) occasionally write
thoughts about things that could be done with XLink, but I don't' think
there is a lot of enthusiasm.

So, in terms of namespace policy, my personal suggestion would be that you
try do something compatible with RDF usage, and even think about moving to
RDF if at all possible.  Now, I'm not an RDF expert.  If you need contacts,
I could ask Norm Walsh who the best contact is.

Cheers, Tony.
--
Anthony B. Coates
Senior Partner