cloudauthz message

Subject: Re: [cloudauthz] a definitino of 'Entitlement' - proposal

Hi David,

what is incorrect with the concept of entitlement and why we should not use it (we stillhave not defined what is it)?

I am surprised - "the user provides an identity credential, which may or may not grant the user access to a resource"  - I never saw that simply identity performed an action and granted (or not) a right. I think, we need a more accurate _expression_ here. What I saw is somebody or something granted or not granted a right to an Actor based on its identity (digital, biological, etc.)

I agree with "Entitlement is a right." However, this definition is incomplete, IMO, becuase if it is all, then why we need a term 'entitlement' instead of 'right'? I think, we have to include the Actor and the Resource into the definition of Entitlement.

What I wrote initially may be a definition of an Entitlement Solution.

Thanks,
- Michael Poulin

----- Original Message -----

From: David Chadwick

Sent: 01/22/13 02:21 PM

To: Mike Poulin

I think the concept of entitlement is not the correct one and we should
not be using it. Rather, I think that the user provides an identity
credential, which may or may not grant the user access to a resource.

Entitlement is a right. But the user's credential is not always a right.
The resource holder (the cloud service provider) can decide which
credentials it will accept and which it will not.

regards

David