Subject: Introduction: Dennis E. Hamilton

I had it in my head that we were all invited to introduce ourselves on the list, but I can't find it in either the minutes or my notes from the call.  So I will do it anyhow, for context in the current discussion. I see that what I thought of introductions was identified as objectives, and I thought that was personal objectives as opposed to objectives for the CMIS TC overall.  Maybe they aren't different?  Anyhow, starting out all about me:

 - - - - - -

I am presently a mostly-retired independent consultant with practice devoted to interoperability among document-processing systems and applications.  I am also interested in encouraging novices who want to learn programming and become software developers.

In May, 2008, I celebrated the 50th anniversary of my first line of code (in Fortran).  Shortly after that I began writing machine language and then going on to work for Remington Rand Univac (now Unisys) on programming languages, tools, and operating system architecture.  I also worked with a group that was involved in the early pioneering of functional-programming.

After Univac, I moved to Xerox Corporation in the early 70s.  I had two careers with Xerox, separated by ten years as an independent consultant.  In the last period, I was involved in interoperability among Xerox digital products and became involved in document management as part of a team that worked on external storage systems for the yet-to-be-introduced Xerox Docutech system.  I moved to Palo Alto and joined the XSoft subsidiary, then completing my Xerox career as part of the System Architecture portion of Xerox Corporate Research.  I was one of the original architects what would become the Document Management Alliance DMA 1.0.  I also encouraged ODMA support.  On my retirement from corporate life at the end of 1998, I became the sole technical coordinator for ODMA, the Open Document Management API, and I continue to support that niche desktop integration arrangement for document-management systems.

I'm very keen on interoperability and standards in the area of document processing, having recently joined the OASIS OpenDocument Format TC.  I also dig into and have provided review of the OOXML specifications.  I am the Secretary of the OASIS ODF Interoperability and Conformance TC.  My membership in the OASIS Content Management Interoperability Services (CMIS) reflects my past experience in open-integration models for document-management systems.

There is more about me and my history to be found by checking out "What's an Orcmid?" at
http://orcmid.com/construction/orcmid.htm. You can find my family of blogs by starting at http://nfoWorks.org/diary and visiting the associated blogs.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org