Subject: Interest and CMIS Objectives: Dennis E. Hamilton

Continuing on the all-about-me part, and the background I am relying on,
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/cmis/200811/msg00061.html
now here is my interest in CMIS.

1. PERSONAL INTEREST

My basic interest in the work of CMIS is given by my experience with ODMA (and tangentially by my experience with DMA).  I seek to determining whether ODMA would provide an useful vehicle for elementary integration with desktop applications as well as a migration step for desktop applications that are not prepared to take a full step toward integration with a web services approach.

So what I am looking for in the near term is to

1. Bring a beginners mind for review and participation in the readying of CMIS 1.0 for publication as an OASIS Committee Specification and OASIS Standard.

2. Appraise the CMIS models and (protocol) bindings for simple cases of integration with existing desktop applications via their support for ODMA.

3. Consider experimental exercise of CMIS in at least simple cases using variations of ODMA fixtures that I am already developing.  This is more feasibility testing and experimental exercises.  The lingering niche of ODMA applications might not have much benefit in being able to reach into CMIS-exposed repositories.  I consider this a worthy investigation.

I understand that desktop integration is not part of the initial CMIS effort and is something on the list for possible future expansion.  I have no desire to alter that.  I think it would be enough, in early CMIS work, to have a little experimental check on what the difficulties of desktop and desktop-application integration might be.

2. OBSERVATIONS ON OBJECTIVES FOR CMIS

With respect to David Choy's request,
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/cmis/200811/msg00055.html

I confess that I am not conversant enough with the specifications, at this point, to point to anything that I see as a problem.  I will look at those questions as I dig into the materials prior to the next meeting.  I am quite satisfied with the charter and the approach provided therein.

I do have a concern with the Issue Tracker, in that I am not that clear on how well this particular tracker works, and I assume that we simply need to practice with it.

On general principles, I support Al Brown's perspective:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/cmis/200811/msg00056.html

"To keep it simple, I'd like the minimum number of optional features. I'd also like the features/functionality to be fully discoverable by the client if variations are allowed. ...

"... To get a core specification out as soon as possible that provides the ECM industry a base to start from for interoperability while we then add additional capabilities in the next release. This also allows us to learn and gain feedback from the marketplace."

I have more experience than anyone needs with what happens when that isn't done [;<).  I also think that it is important to obtain that experience by offering an early on-ramp with basic capabilities that allows shared experience in the industry and in the general community of stakeholders.  Then there is a fertile territory for going forward.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org