Subject: Re: [cmis] [CMIS] About the pronunciation of CMIS...

I think see-miss works well with conjunctives like CMIS-enabled, CMIS-ready, etc. Do we expect those types of phrases?

The initialism C-M-I-S probably works best when speaking to folks that aren't at all familiar with the spec.

From: Al Brown
To: cmis@lists.oasis-open.org
Sent: Tue Nov 25 11:18:28 2008

I think it depends on how you pronounce SQL: See-qul or S Q L. With regards to CMIS, I use both from time to time though I have been using See-mis more often recently.

I've updated the wiki to have pages for the proposals we discussed on the phone:
- http://wiki.oasis-open.org/cmis/GeneralDiscussions

Please update them as the discussion and proposals progress. They are place holders at the moment.

-Al

Al Brown
ECM CTO Staff, Information Managament
Office 714 327 3453
Mobile 714 263 6441
Email albertcbrown@us.ibm.com
CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: The contents of this message, including any attachments, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the person or entity to whom the message was addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender. Please also permanently delete all copies of the original message and any attached documentation.

Inactive hide details for John Newton ---11/25/2008 02:46:33 AM---Internally, we have been referring to it as See-Miss for a whJohn Newton ---11/25/2008 02:46:33 AM---Internally, we have been referring to it as See-Miss for a while. In general, people will go for the shortest pronunciation pos

John Newton <john.newton@alfresco.com>

Randall_Craig@emc.com

<cmis@lists.oasis-open.org>

11/25/2008 02:46 AM

Re: [cmis] [CMIS] About the pronunciation of CMIS...

Internally, we have been referring to it as See-Miss for a while.

In general, people will go for the shortest pronunciation possible anyway as measured by number of syllables. That's why there is so much usage of acronyms. In this case, it's 2 syllables vs. 4 syllables.

John Newton

Chairman and CTO, Alfresco
john.newton@alfresco.com
+447890270532

On 24 Nov 2008, at 23:43, Randall_Craig@emc.com wrote:

>>> This e-mail and any attachments are confidential, may contain legal,
professional or other privileged information, and are intended solely for the
addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not use the information
in this e-mail in any way, delete this e-mail and notify the sender. CEG-IP2