Subject: CybOX 3.0: File Object Refactoring

All,

As Trey mentioned in his previous email, we’ve been thinking about how to refactor and fix the issues associated with the File Object (and its subclasses). Accordingly, we’ve put together a page that outlines the existing issues and our ideas on addressing them: https://github.com/CybOXProject/schemas/wiki/CybOX-3.0:-File-Object-Refactoring

We’ll be discussing this during today’s call, but we’d love to get your input here (and/or on Slack) as well – generally on your feelings with regards to these changes, but also on:
  • Are there any other issues with the File Object and its subclasses that we’re missing?
  • Does the concept of domain-specific/context-specific extension points make sense?
    • Are there any other default extensions that we should be adding?
    • Are there any other properties for the default extensions that we should be adding?
Also, we’d like to highlight that we’re still thinking through some of the implications of this approach (how to manage/version/update extensions, etc.), so consider this a living document.

Regards,
Ivan and Trey