Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] CybOX 3.0: File Object Refactoring

I would find the term "metadata_type" confusing because I would assume this was referring to a mismatch in the filesystem and/or file metadata layer(s), not in the name of the file...

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Mark Davidson ---12/22/2015 08:14:18 AM---Overall I like the proposal. I have a few comments:Mark Davidson ---12/22/2015 08:14:18 AM---Overall I like the proposal. I have a few comments:

From: Mark Davidson <mdavidson@soltra.com>
To: "Kirillov, Ivan A." <ikirillov@mitre.org>, Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA
Cc: "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>, Jerome Athias <athiasjerome@gmail.com>, Patrick Maroney <Pmaroney@specere.org>, "Barnum, Sean D." <sbarnum@mitre.org>, John Anderson <janderson@soltra.com>, "Paul Patrick" <ppatrick@isightpartners.com>, "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, "cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>, Terry MacDonald <terry@soltra.com>
Date: 12/22/2015 08:14 AM
Sent by: <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>

Overall I like the proposal.

I have a few comments:Thank you.
-Mark

From: <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of "Kirillov, Ivan A." <ikirillov@mitre.org>
Date:
Monday, December 21, 2015 at 3:03 PM
To:
Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>
Cc:
"Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>, Jerome Athias <athiasjerome@gmail.com>, Patrick Maroney <Pmaroney@specere.org>, "Barnum, Sean D." <sbarnum@mitre.org>, John Anderson <janderson@soltra.com>, Paul Patrick <ppatrick@isightpartners.com>, "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, "cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>, Terry MacDonald <terry@soltra.com>
Re: [cti-cybox] CybOX 3.0: File Object Refactoring

Just a heads up that we’ve updated the File Object Refactoring proposal [1] to take into account some of the great points brought up around file metadata and masquerading discussion during our last SC call. Let us know what you think.

FileMetadataExtension
A default extension point for capturing general classes of file metadata. A sub-class of the FileExtension class.

Field
Type
Multiplicity
Description
extension_typestring1Specifies the type of this extension; required and MUST be set to 'FileMetadataExtension'
mime_typestring0-1The MIME type name from the IANA media type registry (http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml) specified for the file, e.g., "msword".
magic_numberstring0-1The particular magic number (typically a hexadecimal constant used to identify a file format) corresponding to the file, if applicable.
has_mismatchboolean0-1Indicates that there is a mismatch between one or more stated and reported properties of the file. For example, a mismatch between the MIME type of the file its file extension.
mismatch_typeFileMismatchEnum0-NSpecifies the specific type of file mismatch that was found. This field is required if the has_mismatch property is set to true.
FileMismatchEnum
Value
Description
extension/typeA mismatch between the MIME type reported for the file and its file extension. For example, if the reported MIME type (as captured in the mime_type property) for the file is 'vnd.microsoft.portable-executable' and the file extension (as captured in the file_name property) is 'txt'.
magic/extensionA mismatch between the magic number reported for the file and its file extension. For example, if the reported magic number (as captured in the magic_number property) for the file is '25504446', indicating a PDF file, and the file extension (as captured in the file_name property) is 'txt'.
magic/typeA mismatch between the reported MIME type and magic number for the file. For example, if the reported MIME type (as captured in the mime_type property) for the file is 'JPEG' and the reported magic number is '424D' (as captured in the magic_number property, indicating a bitmap file).

[1] https://github.com/CybOXProject/schemas/wiki/CybOX-3.0:-File-Object-Refactoring#filemetadataextension

Regards,
Ivan