Subject: RE: [cti-cybox] A new Forum Object

It should be noted that sometimes the recipient of a message is unknown at
that field can be left empty.  Likewise if you're using an app to follow a
forum thread some databases record all of the participants in a thread along
with a poster rather than saying who the recipient of each message was.  I'm
not sure how Slack tracks it since I haven't pulled out their message
database, but I expect that they use something similar.

So yeah, I tend to think of forum posts as a kind of message.

Jeffrey Mates, Civ DC3/DCCI
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Computer Scientist
Defense Cyber Crime Institute
jeffrey.mates@dc3.mil
410-694-4335

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Patrick [mailto:ppatrick@isightpartners.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 11:58 AM
To: Kirillov, Ivan A.
Cc: Jason Keirstead; Terry MacDonald; Mates, Jeffrey CIV DC3/DCCI;
cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [cti-cybox] A new Forum Object

I'm with Ivan on this

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2016, at 11:24 AM, Kirillov, Ivan A. <ikirillov@mitre.org> wrote:

	>> Riddle me this - what is the semantic difference of a POST with a
recipient of "xyzforum.com/mygroup", and an email MESSAGE with a recipient
of "cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org <mailto:cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org> "
?

	The difference in my mind is that the recipient of an email message
is a well understood entity (an email address), whereas the recipient of a
forum post is abstract and subject to interpretation (Is it a URL of a
forum? Is it the name of a forum/newsgroup?). Also, I think that as a new
user I think it would be quite confusing in trying to understand that a
Message Object can also capture forum posts.

	Regards,

	Ivan