Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] A new Forum Object

The reason I am fighting so hard for this is as follows: If we proceed down this path to make a different TLO for posts, then that means that in *every single instance* where you want to write a pattern signature to look for malware, or C&C channels, or suspicious activity, you will have to write it for both "message" and for "post". I suspect that in reality this is hardly ever going to be done, and instead people will write one or the other, and miss 50% of the attack vectors.

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Kirillov, Ivan A." ---07/05/2016 12:25:00 PM--->> Riddle me this - what is the semantic difference o"Kirillov, Ivan A." ---07/05/2016 12:25:00 PM--->> Riddle me this - what is the semantic difference of a POST with a recipient of "xyzforum.com/mygr

From: "Kirillov, Ivan A." <ikirillov@mitre.org>
To: Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA
Cc: Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@cosive.com>, "Mates, Jeffrey CIV DC3/DCCI" <Jeffrey.Mates@dc3.mil>, Paul Patrick <ppatrick@isightpartners.com>, "cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 07/05/2016 12:25 PM
Sent by: <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>

>> Riddle me this - what is the semantic difference of a POST with a recipient of "xyzforum.com/mygroup", and an email MESSAGE with a recipient of "cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org" ?

The difference in my mind is that the recipient of an email message is a well understood entity (an email address), whereas the recipient of a forum post is abstract and subject to interpretation (Is it a URL of a forum? Is it the name of a forum/newsgroup?). Also, I think that as a new user I think it would be quite confusing in trying to understand that a Message Object can also capture forum posts.

Regards,
Ivan