Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] Recent CybOX Changes

I just wanted to let everyone know where we stand on these issues. Trey and I had a discussion on this topic and decided to make the following changes:

·         file_path in File Object/file-system-properties-type was changed to a string. As others had pointed out, there was no benefit to the delimited approach and it had the side effect of making patterns more complex.

·         We’ve removed the string-with-encoding-type and reverted all uses back to string. We will similarly go back to our old approach of capturing observed encoding using the flattened “_enc” and “_b64” fields – for an example of this please see the file_name and corresponding fields [1]. We’ve also reverted our old section in CybOX Core on this topic [2] – please review and comment. Also, let us know which other fields in the CybOX Objects we should be adding this for.

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DdS-NrVTjGJ3wvCJ7dbSlhYeiaWS6G6dOXu2F3POpUs/edit#heading=h.8qkuomuewogh

[2] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PSGv6Uvo3YyrK354cH0cvdn7gGedbhYJkgNVzwW9E6A/edit?pref=2&pli=1#heading=h.mqdyq1mo042h

Regards,

Ivan

From: Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 3:28 PM
To: Allan Thomson <athomson@lookingglasscyber.com>
Cc: John-Mark Gurney <jmg@newcontext.com>, "Mates, Jeffrey CIV DC3\\DCCI" <Jeffrey.Mates@dc3.mil>, Ivan Kirillov <ikirillov@mitre.org>, John Wunder <jwunder@mitre.org>, Greg Back <gback@mitre.org>, "cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>

I agree, I am also unsure what the purpose of this field is... are there actual threat analytics use cases where knowing the encoding of a piece of text conveys useful information? Was this requested by a specific user group?

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

nactive hide details for Allan Thomson ---08/02/2016 03:47:31 PM---That’sAllan Thomson ---08/02/2016 03:47:31 PM---That’s a good clarification and it makes me wonder why this attribute needs to be conveyed at all. W