Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] IPv4 and IPv6 Address Objects

On 30.08.2016 23:01:43, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> I would much rather keep these separate. If you comvine them with
> some kind of "address type" property, it will make patterning very
> cumbersome vs just having discrete objects. I don't really see how
> having discrete objects for these two has a downside.

I concur with Jason's assessment.

To the larger point, Bret, it seems as though you're swooping in at
the last minute to critique items where we have long had consensus in
the CybOX SC. I know that your motive is to help us ensure that the
CybOX 3.0 release is of the highest possible quality. I know that as
an SC we have done some things in ways that you wouldn't have done had
you been designing CybOX by yourself.

The "C" in "SC" stands for "committee". Where we are today is not only
the result of a great deal of community effort, but *also* a series of
hard-won compromises. Unfortunately you weren't present on many of
those calls and we forgot to create a podcast of CybOX working calls.
(Which, by the way, would have cornered the market in sleep aids!)

A good deal of work remains to be done before we submit CybOX 3.0 as a
Committee Draft Specification but we *are* in the final stretch now.
We are *not* going to go back and redesign the entire standard from
scratch; we have to draw the line somewhere. Our efforts are best
focused on resolving the existing set of important open questions, not
calling everything under the sun into question.

Please understand that my intention is to exercise leadership in
rallying the CybOX SC toward a successful conclusion of the work at
hand and not to cast aspersions. I realize that it's difficult to
accurately convey tone in email and hope that I have not caused
offense.

I value your input, Bret; we all do. But we cannot allow perfection to
become the enemy of "good enough and done".

--
Cheers,
Trey