Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] Network Connection Object TCP Extension

On 30.08.2016 22:44:27, Jordan, Bret wrote:
> Do we really want to rebuild or capture the entire IP/TCP header in
> CybOX? Does that really make sense when there are other solutions
> that arguably do this much better? I think CybOX should capture the
> high level things that are important that meet the 80-90% use case
> and leave those other nitty-gritty things for another solution.

Exactly! This "completionist" approach was one of the biggest failings
of previous versions of CybOX.

> I could see this network connection just having a hex encoded
> libpcap or libpcap-ng data blob if you really wanted to to capture
> the packet, datagram, or frame headers.

Precisely why we've relied so heavily on the artifact object to
provide an effective escape hatch for characterizing really weird
things that don't fit neatly into the defined set of object fields.

For sure we're missing some important things! We don't know what we
don't know. So we'll add additional fields to the spec in future
revisions as the community presents the relevant use cases instead of
trying to cram everything in with the kitchen sink today. ^_^

--
Cheers,
Trey